Thursday 9 November 2017

What if Metropolis?:Thumbnails and thoughts.@Phil







So these are the two I felt I was starting to get what I wanted. After looking at Frank R Paul I feel as though this has really helped me and I've tried to get fully out of my comfort zone as this way different from last time. ( I have been recently doing thumbnails trying to figure out what angle and how id like the final painting to be but I'm thinking some re-adjustments to this drawing I had before could work well for example...The hero prop could be the tower of a similar design in the foreground because this gives the idea of a tall structure and it has the right balance between lightweight and the mixture of shapes. I feel like the floor has a similar orbit feel as the path swoops around and this gives it the flow I need. however the image was too crowded and unnecessary so I have stripped the buildings that didn't match and kept the ones id like these two tall towers oppose each other diagonally in balance whilst you have a very sharp distance part cutting through the image this keeps the excitement and the idea of the levels and the structure that is rounded afar has a sense of eye direction to it I also feel like the closest object the tower should be most detailed as it is closer. and further away I planned on first doing patterns and silhouettes then combining them. Inspired from the sources I have been looking at and what materials they have e.g. the bullring in Birmingham. then merging these I can get a sense of the further away patterns I was describing. this would give me some assets and the idea of their being more. then I can make the orthographic of the props e.g. street lights on the side of the road and so on. this means I can have everything done after this painting. As for product designs I think lights and fan type shapes would be good especially for example the street light designs. and any patterns or designs from the exterior and interior I currently have could help. I could also do different monorail shapes. Colour wise. I was going to try and match the other two pieces of work as I feel it already has a sense of those two if tweaked and expanded on in a PS document. 
( Although I was thinking a whole new perspective would be good rather than this I feel like this can work. And I can see how I can change it. Make it final as such.

Doing this thumbnail made me think about symmetry having a balance about it. and the street lights I was going off topic with the structures though. But I feel like its too off topic and boring. Its not orbital.
This perspective was interesting as I think this could have worked really well but I can't really figure out how this would work..I feel like its easy to make it more of a landmark picture than a city this way and I fell like focusing on the perspective will make me less think about the bigger picture id be trying to convey of the city.

In this thumbnail I think the idea of a suspended object a bridge a tower and a swerve in the road was way to bland and me worrying too technically about support.

I feel like this thumbnail is not good in terms of a sense of space and off topic too alien.

I feel like in these thumbnails the rocket type buildings and symmetry are interesting and match that sense of retro futurism but is very typical and ends up just being a rocket. So this could be something I incorporate somehow but I don't want it to literally be this.

This last thumbnail is to do with fans and shapes I feel like this could help with product design though.
These were some quick drawings regarding the bullring in Birmingham I think it gets the sense of orbit and the patterns on it circular metal plates can give me ideas for patterns and design but I wasn't trying to put my buildings in. I was just trying to think about the angles I could use etc. But I feel like these close off the picture and I think mine should be more free and balanced less obviously. 




( Any Advice or Opinions Fell free to let me know) 


2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm LOVING how bold and zingy these are, Georgia! I think thumbnail 3 is really beginning to nail it... the way that road/curve swoops our eye into the picture, like we're soaring towards the central element... I think you should open this thumbnail right out and expand the frame - so us more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and glad to hear that.. ill work on doing that :]

      Delete

For_Infinity_Rendered_Edited